Butte Citizens for Preservation and Revitalization

P.O. Box 164, Butte, MT 59703
info@buttecpr.org

Get Involved!


Next Public Meeting:

Tuesday, June 19th, 2018

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Tuesday, Sept 18th, 2018
7:00 pm
BSB Archives
17 W. Quartz

Upcoming Events:

SALVAGE SALES

4:00pm-6:00pm

April 10th

May 23rd

June 20th

August 16th

September 12th

In the alley behind Piccadilly Museum of Transportation. 20 West Broadway

Butte CPR gratefully accepts salvage donations. Proceeds from the Salvage Sales support the Historic Improvement Program grants, and go directly back into the community. For more information contact us at www.buttecpr.org or facebook.com/ButteCPR.

Dust to Dazzle 2018
Saturday, June 23rd, 2018

Properties: To be announced
Cost is $15 each. For more information Call 782-3682 or send an email to info@buttecpr.org.

Historic Improvement Project Fund 2018
Accepting applications Feb. 1, 2018
Deadline for applications Aril 20th, 2018
See website for more information or email to info@buttecpr.org.

Calendar of Events

Recent additions:

In the summer of 1994 a group of residents of Butte, Montana, committed to the preservation and promotion of Butte's unique historical architecture, came together to form the Butte Citizens for Preservation and Revitalization — Butte CPR.

CPR provides grants to improve buildings, educational tours, lectures, preservation workshops, and other events, liaison with local government, business, and civic organizations, and the labor to restore, renovate and salvage historical buildings in the nation's largest National Historic Landmark District, encompassing 5,991 historically significant resources.

Butte CPR's efforts have impacted dozens of buildings, both residential and commercial, since the organization was founded. Join us and help make a difference!

DUST to DAZZLE, Historic Homes Tour 2018

JUNE 23rd, 2018

Butte CPR opens the doors to Butte's architectural history through public tours of privately owned homes and commerical buildings during it's annual Dust to Dazzle, Historic Homes Tour.

This year our annual Dust to Dazzle tour will include five homes to inspire visitors:

235 East Granite Street

This unassuming little house was one of a handful on this block when it was built around 1886 by the home's first owner, James Coughlin. He and his wife Julia Geagan had five children between 1888 and 1898. The neighborhood around them, Finn Town, grew substantially in that period. After Coughlin died in 1900, Julia and the children remained until 1907. The house had no running water or indoor plumbing when the Coughlins lived there, and it stood vacant many years afterward, possibly because of that deficiency. In fact, it was vacant for as much of its history as it has been occupied, with no resident (save one) staying longer than just a few years. When the Anaconda Company began purchasing and demolishing this neighborhood in the 1970s, its stubborn owners refused to sell. Butch Gerbrant and Gretchen Geller acquired the house recently, and began an extensive renovation. The interior work brought the house up to modern standards, but its history peeks through in several places. .

3 West Agate Street

What is now a two-story brick duplex at 3 W. Agate began as a boarding house. Labeled the Norman Charles Block after the saloon owner who had the building erected in 1898, it became the Butte General Hospital in 1907. Four brick garages that stood behind the duplex are reported to have been nurses' quarters until the hospital closed at that location in 1910. By 1921, the building seems to have been converted to single family use. The The duplex retains many of its historic elements, on both the interior and exteriior. These include a pair of stained glass windows in the transom portion of each cottage window on the first floor, all historic window openings, and the name paque at the center of the front parapet. Inside, one historic set of piocket doors in each unit is intact as is much of the central stairway including decorative newell post and balusters

301 West Granite Street

The house at 301 West Granite Street evolved from a modest single-story dwelling into one of the most architectural sophisticated mansions in Butte as original owner, Michael "M. J." Connell, amassed a fortune. Irish immigrant Connell started in Butte managing a dry goods store in the late 1870s, but soon opened his own store and immersed himself in other business opportunities. By 1888, his Granite Street home boasted a new second story crowned by a French-inspired mansard roof. Further embellishments followed in 1892, including a large east wing, and semicircular front porch and bay. The design product of local architect Charles Prentice, these additions were executed in the Eastlake tradition with elaborately cut wood and carved details. Before 1900, Connell sold the home and left Butte. Today's owners, Bart and Dana Wackerbarth, have honored Connell's heritage by lovely restoring the historic house while adding another large yet tasteful addition.

315 West Broadway Street

Prominent Butte architect H. M. Patterson designed the house at 315 W. Broadway in 1892. This home was constructed in the Queen Anne stye, abd includes such details as a portico entrance of square posts with decorative brackets, a projecting bay window, and gorgeous stained glass. The interior is equally outstanding. In the foyer, there is embossed-leather wainscoting, parquet flooring, and a mahogany stairway. The Judge John J. McHatton family was the first to reside in this home from 1893 to 1929. When McHatten remodeled in 1905, he added the upper stories and fine details. He was one of copper king F. Augustus Heinze's leading attorneys and chief counsel in 1897. The next family to occupy the residence (until 1956) was Raymond L. Ruhle and his family. It was also a prominent Butte family, holding Christmas Eve open houses annually. Mary Gallicano and her family moved in several years ago. Since then, she has made several renovations, including to the house's plumbing and heating systems.

403,405,407 West Broadway Street

This property was built by Patrick Largey in 1895. He was considered the "4th" Copper King in Butte through his investments in warehouse storage, banking and shipping in the early days of Butte. Patrick Largey was infamously murdered in 1898 while working at his bank, State Savings Bank, by Thomas Riley. Mr. Riley had blamed Mr. Largey for the warehouse explosion in 1895 that caused several deaths and injuries to Butte citizens and loss of income for displaced workers and survivors of the catastrophe. The Largey Flats were built next to the Largey mansion, which stood next door to the east where the community park is now. The Largey mansion burned down in 1965. The "Flats" were built to house friends and relatives of Patrick and Urusala Largey while they visited Butte, and for temporary housing of prominent business people while they were building or scouting out a home to move into. Built by Moses Bassett in 1895, the "Flats" resemble an Italian villa with tile roofs, the front portico, and arched entrances. They were truly built for the elite moving into Butte at the time and still have outstanding craftmanship and detail throughout the town homes. The staircase is made from solid wood molded into a curved ascent to the second floors of the apartments. Each unit has detailed stained and beveled glass in the front of the building that refract light onto the walls of the living room. All 3 townhouses have a similar floor layout and design, but subtle modifications have been made to each one and reflect changes made to the units over the decades. Many original features are still in use today and the current owner has added back enclosed sunrooms.

Each of these homes has a connection to people important to the history of Butte, but each also stands on its own as a worthy example of the varied architecture of the historic district.

Through their positive, hands-on participation in the civic life of Butte, [Butte CPR is] creating a greater understanding that Butte's historic architecture is what makes Butte what it is. And that is something worth fighting for!"
— Montana State Historic Preservation Office

CPR's operation is partially supported by a grant from the Montana Cultural Trust and by donations from members.