- builds civic pride
- encourages tourism
- educates residents and visitors about community heritage
- stimulates economic development, revitalizing depressed neighborhoods
- stabilizes buildings, enhancing value of rents, generating business opportunity, and increasing property values and tax base
- builds positive partnerships among government, civic, educational, and private organizations
- infuses revenue to preservation-related businesses
- in Butte, our rich history is the key to our ongoing claim to being "the richest hill on earth"
- See also CPR Objectives • Commentary by John Ray • Montana Standard opinion
- Governor's Historic Properties Report
Builder’s SongAuthor unknown
I saw them tear a building down,
A gang of men in a busy town.
With a ho-heave-ho and a lusty yell
They swung a beam and the side wall fell.
I asked the foreman, “Are these men skilled,
As the men you would hire if you had to build?”
He laughed and said, “No indeed;
Just common labor is all I need.
I can easily wreck in a day or two
What builders have taken years to do.”
I asked myself as I went my way,
“Which of these roles have I tried to play?
Am I builder who works with care,
Measuring life by the rule and square,
Or am I a wrecker who walks the town
Content with the labor of tearing down?”
BUTTE CPR •
P.O. Box 164 • Butte, Montana 59703 •