Minutes of CPR Meetings
Minutes are posted for the current year, with newest at the top of this page. Please send corrections to Secretary.
The following links to archived materials are html pages, document files, or PDFs.
Jan. 8, 2013 • Butte Archives
President Irene Scheidecker called the meeting to order at 7:05; it was adjourned at 8:35. Present: Irene Scheidecker, Dick Gibson, Mitzi Rossillon, Cindy Gaffney, Mike Hogan, Steve Foreman, Noorjahan Parwana.
Action items are in red.
Minutes of November meeting - not read.
Public Comment - none
- Treasurer's report: no report
- Council meetings: no report
- URA meetings: no report
- HPC meeting: Dick reported that they had no action items tonight. All members
were present except Robert Edwards, plus Jim Shive, Dick Gibson,
and Noor Parwana, public. Jim Shive, public comment: recommends
against by-laws plan for removing HPC members; pointed out numerous
items in draft Preservation Plan that have been brought up previously
and dismissed, asks why are they here again? 1. Two demolitions
(1401 Hobson, 19 E. Fremont) were demolished by determination of
the HPO as non-historic and fire/safety problem, respectively. 2.
Discussed BSB Historic Building Stabilization & Protection Fund
($200,000): Theresa Doty and Bill Ryan expressed opposition to using
any of this fund for private property. Jim Jarvis says there are
200+ properties on the hill that are 3 years in arrears for taxes.
3. HPC by-laws: discussed removal provision; Lori Casey says Planning
Board has such procedure. Jim J says Helena has similar procedure.
HPC decided to continue to review, but plan to vote on by-laws at
next meeting. 4. Local Historic Preservation Plan: repeated same
stuff from previous meetings. There is a questionnaire that Jim
J sent to the members for input. Basically tabled this, I think.
5. Reported later by Noorjahan: Ghost Signs. HPO found out that
the one conserved sign in Ft. Collins cost about $25,000 ($75/sq
ft). Repainting to look new costs about $14,000. They are still
applying for grants. He gave a list of candidates for repainting
(New Deal Bar, Overland Rye, Lincoln Hotel Butte Beer, Rex on Insty
Prints, Ford in Your Future, Creamery), conservation (Leys, Luteys),
document and leave alone (Iona Flor de Baltimore, Wrigleys, collages).
Plan for brand new murals on Craven Garage and Second Edition Books.
Discussion in CPR meeting: we need talking points (pros and cons)
to have for talking with building owners on this topic. Cindy Gaffney
will organize talking; everyone needs to help
with the talking points.
Noorjahan Prawana has been hired as the P.R. coordinator.
Neglected Buildings: Irene talked with Jim Jarvis about our plans to contact negligent property owners. Irene to seek a board member to go with her to a meeting with Jarvis in the next week or so. Irene drafted a generic letter to be sent; board members are to comment, then the letter should go out. Nominated properties include: Iona, Pincus, Broadway at Jackson, O'Rourke, 11 W. Woolman, Thornton Annex.
613 W. Granite (NAHN-HUD): CPR is a consulting party. We sent comments focusing on opposition to the stucco west wall. Regarding the NAHN projects in general, Jim Shive agreed to provide review and recommendations to the Board on the properties that come up; the board will then decide whether and what to comment.
By-laws review: Dick had reported several inconsistencies in the by-laws and suggested that a comprehensive review was in order. Noorjahan is asked to do this.
Election of Board: Following a motion by Dick Gibson seconded by Mitzi Rossillon, the following were elected to the CPR board of directors for 1-year terms: Robert Edwards, Robert Renouard, Mike Hogan, Julie Crowley, Mizti Rossillon, Larry Smith, Irene Scheidecker. In the absence of a quorum of the board, the board did not elect officers but will do so expeditiously.
Annual Report: Dick reported that this is ready for printing, lacking the financial report and the names of any new officers elected.
Big Hole Pump Station: Mitzi reported that an arch over a window or door has failed. Discussion as to whether or not BSB has a maintenance plan for the historic site; Gibson opined that they do not; they are required to have one. Someone is going to check on the status and get photos, then we plan to remind the county about the maintenance needs. Noor will ask Jarvis for a copy of the Maintenance Plan, if one exists.
Committee Reports: Education, Salvage, HIP Grants - no reports. Cultural Trust Grant: Dick needs the 2012 financials to complete the semi-annual report for second half 2012, which will release the second half of the grant.
Next Meeting: Tuesday Feb. 12, 7:00 pm, at Butte Archives.
BUTTE CPR •
P.O. Box 164 • Butte, Montana 59703 •